Future Students //

Admissions: Frequently Asked Questions

Are all TCAT campuses on clock hours?

Yes, this means that you have to meet the required amount of hours to graduate.

Are there special requirements for out-of-state students?

Foreign students must present proof of permanent residency in the United States. The Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology are authorized to enroll immigrants/permanent resident students who provide the school with a resident alien card (Form 1-551) or other acceptable document to verify permanent resident status. The school is not approved by INS to accept foreign nationals.

Can I receive credit for courses taken in high school or other previous experience?

Possibly. An individual may be given credit for skills and knowledge obtained in high school or at another post-secondary institution. If you think you are eligible for advanced placement credit, see Placement Tests and Transfer Credit for more information.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Visit www.fafsa.gov. Our federal school code is 00971000.

How do I get started?

To begin the application process, visit the Admissions page and follow the instructions for how to apply.

I’m a current high school student. Can I enroll in TCAT courses?

Many TCATs offer high school students the opportunity to earn dual enrollment credit (credit at high school and credit at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology). Opportunities for dual enrollment vary by campus.

Eligible students must have completed at least the sophomore year of high school with a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. Requests for exceptions may be submitted to the Student Services Coordinator of the college.

In order to apply for dual enrollment, be sure to select “Dual Enrollment HS Students Only” on your application for admission. Also submit a completed application form authorized by TSAC regarding Dual Enrollment and a written recommendation from the high school principal, teacher, or counselor.

I’ve already earned a diploma from a full-time TCAT program. Can I apply to another program?

Students earning a diploma in a full-time program must wait a minimum of six months before being allowed to enroll in another program. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

What happens after I submit all required documents?

Your application will be reviewed and you will be notified as to whether you are accepted into the program. If you are accepted but the program is full, your name will be placed on a waiting list according to your application’s date of completion. You will be notified when a vacancy occurs. If you refuse the first vacancy, Student Services may delay your entry into the next available slot. If you refuse a second offer of vacancy, you will be removed from the waiting list entirely.

If your desired program has a long waiting list, you will periodically receive letters from Student Services to determine your continued interest. If you do not respond to the letter in an appropriate time period, you will be removed from the waiting list.

When do I apply for admission to a program?

We are open from 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday – Friday excluding holidays, inservice, and administrative closings.   You may come in at any time between those hours, or you can apply online at any time.  Check our “Academic Calendar” in “Current Students” for a complete list of closings, or call before you visit.